You are not connected. Please login or register

Call of Duty “has almost ruined a generation of shooter players.”

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Keptoknight

avatar
U&V Member
U&V Member
Tripwire president John Gibson from the makers of the game "Killing Floor."

I feel like Call of Duty has almost ruined a generation of FPS players. I know that’s a bold statement, but I won’t just throw stones without backing it up.

Almost every element boiled down to “it doesn’t feel like Call of Duty.” And really, watching some of these guys play… one of the things that Call of Duty does, and it’s smart business, to a degree, is they compress the skill gap.

And the way you compress the skill gap as a designer is you add a whole bunch of randomness. A whole bunch of weaponry that doesn’t require any skill to get kills.

Random spawns, massive cone fire on your weapons. Lots of devices that can get kills with zero skill at all, and you know, it’s kind of smart to compress your skill gap to a degree. You don’t want the elite players to destroy the new players so bad that new players can never get into the game and enjoy it. I’m looking at you, Dota. [laughs] Sorry.

You might as well just sit down at a slot machine and have a thing that pops up an says “I got a kill!” They’ve taken individual skill out of the equation so much.

And it’s a shame because when you do that, when you create a shooter like that, you’re very limited on the amount of depth that you can give the game.

And it’s frustrating for me as a designer to see players come in and they’re literally like “In Call of Duty it takes 0.15 seconds to go into ironsights. In RO2 it takes 0.17 seconds to go into ironsights. I hate this.”

__________________________________________

Such a GREAT article that I agree with 100%.



Last edited by Keptoknight on March 18th 2013, 1:51 am; edited 2 times in total



Guest


Guest
Very interesting. I also agree.

U&V~Chef

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
hmmm



Keptoknight

avatar
U&V Member
U&V Member
U&V~Chef wrote:hmmm

WHat u have to say Chef? speak up!!!



Admin

avatar
Guest
Guest
Opinions are nice, free & welcomed....at least here.

I'm glad I'm "ruined" I guess. I'll never be a Void, Recon, xray etc.... but I have fun - even if I do suck.
I love COD & that will always be the case. Let me know if my rancid smell offends anyone...

Suspect



U&V~BL!TZ


Founder -  U&V

U&V~Doc

avatar
U&V Member
U&V Member
If you're really good you should be pitted against good players but if really bad you should have to play equally bad players. Thats how it was back in the day of halo 2.



Keptoknight

avatar
U&V Member
U&V Member
U&V~GR!FF wrote:Opinions are nice, free & welcomed....at least here.

I'm glad I'm "ruined" I guess. I'll never be a Void, Recon, xray etc.... but I have fun - even if I do suck.
I love COD & that will always be the case. Let me know if my rancid smell offends anyone...

Suspect

Its just the design aspect of the game. Not really "you."

Lately, we have been running against WII-U players that literally camp the entire game on corners waiting for any of the 'UV" guys to pass by to go for the kill.

*UV are becoming to well known upto the point that people leave the lobby's once they see the clan tag or they camp the whole game. Pretty soon all of us UV members might have to change our style of play.

*There isn't anyone from UV that is a slot machine.



Keptoknight

avatar
U&V Member
U&V Member
U&V~Doc wrote:If you're really good you should be pitted against good players but if really bad you should have to play equally bad players. Thats how it was back in the day of halo 2.

The problem with that is more loading times. Makes people quit and a sharp decline in lobbies.



U&V~xray

avatar
U&V Member
U&V Member
You can run on my team any day Griff. Someone will makeup for our play. Thats why I keep RedHawk and Waldo around.



Admin

avatar
Guest
Guest
Thanks xray!
Stop!

It's definitely an honor.



U&V~BL!TZ


Founder -  U&V

U&V~Chef

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Keptoknight wrote:
U&V~GR!FF wrote:Opinions are nice, free & welcomed....at least here.

I'm glad I'm "ruined" I guess. I'll never be a Void, Recon, xray etc.... but I have fun - even if I do suck.
I love COD & that will always be the case. Let me know if my rancid smell offends anyone...

Suspect

Its just the design aspect of the game. Not really "you."

Lately, we have been running against WII-U players that literally camp the entire game on corners waiting for any of the 'UV" guys to pass by to go for the kill.

*UV are becoming to well known upto the point that people leave the lobby's once they see the clan tag or they camp the whole game. Pretty soon all of us UV members might have to change our style of play.

*There isn't anyone from UV that is a slot machine.


This is sooo true. I play in the mornings most of the time and most of the people we run into do camp A LOT and they do it the whole match. My numbers are usually good at the beginning of matches then decline considerably till the end. Mainly because these people haven't found their "spot" yet and are running around but as soon as they are hiding in corners I get owned because like you said I run past them and they shoot me in the back, such bull shit. Fucking pussies!



Keptoknight

avatar
U&V Member
U&V Member
U&V~Chef wrote:
Keptoknight wrote:
U&V~GR!FF wrote:Opinions are nice, free & welcomed....at least here.

I'm glad I'm "ruined" I guess. I'll never be a Void, Recon, xray etc.... but I have fun - even if I do suck.
I love COD & that will always be the case. Let me know if my rancid smell offends anyone...

Suspect

Its just the design aspect of the game. Not really "you."

Lately, we have been running against WII-U players that literally camp the entire game on corners waiting for any of the 'UV" guys to pass by to go for the kill.

*UV are becoming to well known upto the point that people leave the lobby's once they see the clan tag or they camp the whole game. Pretty soon all of us UV members might have to change our style of play.

*There isn't anyone from UV that is a slot machine.


This is sooo true. I play in the mornings most of the time and most of the people we run into do camp A LOT and they do it the whole match. My numbers are usually good at the beginning of matches then decline considerably till the end. Mainly because these people haven't found their "spot" yet and are running around but as soon as they are hiding in corners I get owned because like you said I run past them and they shoot me in the back, such bull shit. Fucking pussies!

Yup. That is exactly how it goes. UV KDR's has been dropping.



Aes0p

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Campers are easy kills if you slow down. And if everyone is camping there is no reason not to slow down.

Keptoknight

avatar
U&V Member
U&V Member
U&V~Aes0p wrote:Campers are easy kills if you slow down. And if everyone is camping there is no reason not to slow down.

play OFC and T-24 ><



Aes0p

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
ofc has been camping since world @ war... so I have played them. I'm just saying it's easier if you slow down and check your corners. I'm not saying you have to.

Keptoknight

avatar
U&V Member
U&V Member
U&V~Aes0p wrote:ofc has been camping since world @ war... so I have played them. I'm just saying it's easier if you slow down and check your corners. I'm not saying you have to.

It slows down the process of leveling for everyone. People become disinterested in the "slow downs." Its fun games not a clan vs clan match.

or I got a better idea. I can just be doing this...while I wait for them.



Admin

avatar
Guest
Guest
I'm still pretty interested in games & I check corners too. I guess it's a choice that millions of video gamers make according to their personal gameplay styles. I think it's a little (?) ridiculous to think that some/many COD players aren't gonna camp! They always have and they always will.



U&V~BL!TZ


Founder -  U&V

Keptoknight

avatar
U&V Member
U&V Member
U&V~GR!FF wrote:I'm still pretty interested in games & I check corners too. I guess it's a choice that millions of video gamers make according to their personal gameplay styles. I think it's a little (?) ridiculous to think that some/many COD players aren't gonna camp! They always have and they always will.

It's a userbase problem.

Call of Duty: black ops 2 total players estimated online....

800,000 - Xbox live
400,000 - Playstation network
2,900 - Nintendo network

*The camp ratio is increasingly high compared to the other consoles since its a much smaller community.
*Almost all UV currenty on Wii-U would rather play Kill confirm or Hardpoint. I suspect it is part of the reason why majority of UV getting "bored." It restricts to only one game mode.



Guest


Guest
Indeed. I love HC Kill Confirmed...

U&V~xray

avatar
U&V Member
U&V Member
I camp. I run. I check corners. Thats part of the fun of the game as far as Im concerned.



Keptoknight

avatar
U&V Member
U&V Member
U&V~xray wrote:I camp. I run. I check corners. Thats part of the fun of the game as far as Im concerned.

Majority of UV on BO2 have 50k,60k,90k kills within 3 months. So they have a wealth of knowledge about the game. The experience on other consoles is very different especially PC version.

*Wii-U has tons of issues that is concerning. Leading to the rumors that the next COD on Wii-U is not worth developing due to the lack of sales.

* I assume BO2 on Wii-U wont see any DLC until it has reached 5,000 online players minimum. It will turn out to have imbalances between game modes even more so if Activision decides to release it at its current state.



Admin

avatar
Guest
Guest
Given that last post, I must say my desire to get the Wii u is waning quickly!! Why (now) do I wanna buy it when the
"Wii-U has tons of issues that is concerning. Leading to the rumors that the next COD on Wii-U is not worth developing for due to the lack of sales."

If the future COD games aren't going to be developed for the Wii/Wii u - I'll just watch my kid play Battlefield 3 on his xbox. (and of course, continue to play MWR & MW3 on my trusty Wii!!) Twisted Evil



U&V~BL!TZ


Founder -  U&V

Keptoknight

avatar
U&V Member
U&V Member
U&V~GR!FF wrote:Given that last post, I must say my desire to get the Wii u is waning quickly!! Why (now) do I wanna buy it when the
"Wii-U has tons of issues that is concerning. Leading to the rumors that the next COD on Wii-U is not worth developing for due to the lack of sales."

If the future COD games aren't going to be developed for the Wii/Wii u - I'll just watch my kid play Battlefield 3 on his xbox. (and of course, continue to play MWR & MW3 on my trusty Wii!!) Twisted Evil

It is rumors but I wouldn't doubt it. It has only sold 170,000 copies globally. But then again its only been 3 months for the console.

Take from an article...

"As you know, we were somewhat disappointed with the launch of the Wii U. I think it's a challenging environment this year, and one of the things we are concerned about is what the install base of hardware will be like for six-to-eleven year-olds." -Activision president Bobby Kotick.

Kotick's concerns presumably revolve around the future of Skylanders Swap Force, which is due to hit the Wii U — as well as other platforms — later this year. The Wii was a key system in the success of previous Skylanders outings, and Activision is no doubt hoping that its successor will prove to be the same.



Keptoknight

avatar
U&V Member
U&V Member
U&V~GR!FF wrote:Given that last post, I must say my desire to get the Wii u is waning quickly!! Why (now) do I wanna buy it when the
"Wii-U has tons of issues that is concerning. Leading to the rumors that the next COD on Wii-U is not worth developing for due to the lack of sales."

If the future COD games aren't going to be developed for the Wii/Wii u - I'll just watch my kid play Battlefield 3 on his xbox. (and of course, continue to play MWR & MW3 on my trusty Wii!!) Twisted Evil

May I ask why not play on a different console big poppa? ;X



Guest


Guest
Because most of us are wiimote users and that's what we love to play with big pappa.

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum